Friday, June 18, 2010

Smashbox Primers now @ KIT. A brief review...

Recently I was given a bag full of Smashbox primers from KIT.  I've used the original Photo Finish Primer tonnes of times before, and I love it. I'm not really a pro-primer makeup artist, because I believe that good exfoliated and moisturised skin is enough for a gorgeous foundation base. But these OIL FREE Primers do give a great finish to every one's skin, particularly 25+ skin.
In order of the photo:


Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer (original)
Amazing foundation finish, especially for older skin or acne scared skin.

Smashbox Photo Finish UVA/UVB SPF 15 Primer
I haven't tried this one yet but having SPF in your Primer is better than having it in your foundation (it can make foundations greasy).

Smashbox Photo Finish Colour Correcting Primer Blend (Peach)
Apricot will blend colour and correct skin tone including concealing under eye circles, veins and sunspots.
Didn't see much of a difference on my skin but being very fair and having translucent skin I need a little more coverage with eye circles, veins and dreaded sunspots. 

Smashbox Photo Finish Bronzing Primer
I can't test this one on myself, I'm just too white and it would look ridiculous! But can't wait for the next client opportunity. Although I wonder if it will have much effect, since you apply foundation over the top anyway. I will let you all know! - UPDATE This product is fantastic if you need a bit of extra colour to match a spray tan when the tan hasn't taken to your face (or you've washed it off but your body is still brown). It gives that little extra oomph to your foundation!

Smashbox Photo Finish Colour Correcting Primer Adjust (Green)
Green will correct colour and counteract redness. I tested it on my cheeks where I have a bit of redness - a slight difference but not that noticable. I'll keep using it for the next week and then decide whether it will go in my kit or not. - UPDATE  I haven't really found any difference between this and the original clear primer...it really doesn't adjust your skin at all.

Smashbox Artifical Light Luminizing Lotion in Pearl
This is quite gorgeous! Although it's best applied after foundation and blended well down the nose and along the top of the cheekbone. It can also be mixed with foundation; looks best at night, during the day it just looks too greasy. - UPDATE Loving this for evening clients!

Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer
Fantastic! No eyeshadow creasing from 6am until 11pm when I washed my face!

Conclusion - Photo Finish Lid Primer is definitely a kit must have. Of all the Primers, I'm going to stick with the original as a favourite because I just don't feel like the others make much of a difference. The Luminizing Lotion is also lovely.

Tip - It's best to wait at least 15 minutes between applying the Primer and applying your foundation. Give it time to set, otherwise you may have trouble keeping concealers in place.

xx


Christina Cleary
Sydney Makeup Artist

0 comments:

Post a Comment